SharePoint is an extensive and powerful tool for collaboration that helps groups of people share information and work together. SharePoint sites are dynamic and interactive—members of the site can contribute their own ideas and content as well as comment on or contribute to other people's sites. For example, SharePoint can help you:
- Automate and streamline educational and business processes
- Build highly collaborative environments (e.g. team sites)
- Coordinate projects, calendars, and schedules.
- Discuss ideas and review documents or proposals.
- Share information and keep in touch with other people.
- Workflows to automate processes
The university instance of Microsoft SharePoint, run as shared service for all campuses, colleges, departments, and committees affiliated with the University of Illinois. Engineering IT can provision and assist with sites within Engineering.
Features of SharePoint Shared Service:
- Integrate Exchange/Outlook calendars
- Ability to create automated workflows
- Documents, lists, calendars, wikis, all in one place and coordinated
- Templates for standard use cases
- External collaborators possible
- Multiple people able to update/edit Microsoft Office documents at the same time
- Accessible via Kumo
Features Engineering IT adds to base service:
- Provisioning of Engineering sites
- Consultation of the most useful features for a given task
- Creation and management of external collaborator accounts
Units, Research Groups, Faculty within the college of Engineering.
Units, Research Groups, Faculty within the college of Engineering. Requests will receive a response within one business day, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, excluding University holidays.
Email: engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu
There is no additional charge for this service.
Users of this service agree to the following:
- Public facing websites are not possible
- Sites will be provisioned within the Engineering site of SharePoint
- Engineering IT does not provide customization of the site
- The owner of the site is responsible for maintaining appropriate permissions
- The owner of the site is responsible for any customization
- FERPA Data requires approval from the appropriate campus Registrar
- HIPAA/PCI data is NOT to be stored on SharePoint
- Engineering IT does not have the ability to change the features available on the university SharePoint instance.
- The campus SharePoint is not to be used as a Learning or Course Management system.
- The AITS SLA takes precedence if there is any disagreement
For new site: email engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu with the following information:
- Home department
- Site Name/Description
- Site Owner (must be faculty or staff)
- What features you want enabled by default, or a description of how you want to use the site
For general inquiries about the service:
sbelahi [at] illinois [dot] edu
Subscribers to this service may be interested in these additional services:
Questions about this topic? Don't see what you're looking for?
Email engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu, call the Help Desk at 217-333-1313, or contact your primary IT support professional.