Unified Communications (UC) Voice (Lync) is a major, campuswide technology initiative to modernize telephone service for faculty and staff. Lync integrates fully with Microsoft Exchange email and calendaring, increasing the functionality of all of these services and providing a substantial cost savings to campus.
This service is available to all Engineering at Illinois faculty, staff and graduate students as well as retirees, emeritus faculty, visiting faculty, and those with 0-percent appointments.
- A Lync account for voice/chat service
- Lync training available from FAST3
- A headset or handset, based on departmental standards
- Installation of Lync client for Windows and Mac OS; web client also available
- Special configurations available for receptionists and others who need to manage multiple phone numbers
Unified Communications is funded through Technology Services rate and funding for campus services and billed to units directly. There are no ala carte charges for UC services. Long distance usage is billed for. Units and/or individuals are required to provide their own Lync-compatible headsets and devices.
- Users can view Lync requirements or check the status of your Lync activation through Technology Services.
- A summary, including videos and printable guides, is available through the Technology Services KnowledgeBase.
For assistance, please contact the engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu (Engineering IT Help Desk). Alternatively, you can contact your primary IT support person.
Questions about this topic? Don't see what you're looking for?
Email engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu, call the Help Desk at 217-333-1313, or contact your primary IT support professional.