Engineering IT’s staff of technical professionals can provide a range of robust IT infrastructure services to meet the needs of the College. Engineering IT provides data storage services for all faculty, staff and students within the College of Engineering.
- What Questions Should I ask About Storage?
- List of All Storage Options
- Which Storage is Right For Me?
- What are Best Practices for Managing Data?
What Questions Should I ask About Storage?
If you answer YES to either of the following two questions, mshart [at] illinois.edu (subject: File%20and%20Data%20Storage) (contact Mark Hart), Research Technology Facilitator to help you identify appropriate solutions.
Are you working with HIPAA data? (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act)
Does your project have Export Restrictions?
There are other questions that can also help determine the right storage option for you, but they will largely be project-specific. Some of those questions might be:
- How large are the files/data sets I'm working with?
- Do I have to share this data with research partners off campus?
- How rapidly will my storage needs grow?
List of All Storage Options
- 4CeeD- File Uploader, Metadata Extraction, and File Management Services
- Active Data Storage – ADS
- Amazon Glacier
- Engrit Storage- SLD
- Google Drive
- Illinois Data Bank
- One Drive (Microsoft)
- Amazon S3 – S3
- Tailored solutions- Engineering IT can help design something for your specific needs.
Funding Agency Repositories/Requirements
In February 2013, the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) issued a policy memorandum directing federal agencies to develop policies to make the publications and data resulting from federally funded research freely available to the public. Each funding agency may have specific requirements that could influence data access and storage decisions. More detailed information about funding agency requirements can be found at the links below.
Questions about this topic? Don't see what you're looking for?
Email engrit-help [at] illinois.edu, call the Help Desk at 217-333-1313, or contact your primary IT support professional.