Version control is the management of text files (especially program code) in repositories, to track and maintain changes over the life of the document. It allows for coordination among multiple collaborators and easier identification of errors. Version control is commonly used in some research applications as well as taught to undergraduates in some departments.
The Engineering IT hosted instances of Subversion (SVN) and GitLab.
- File revision tracking
- Multi-user access
- Attempted auto-merge of change sets from different sources.
- Allows for external collaborators
- Active Directory logins
- Is self-service for everything except external collaborator accounts
- Migration possible from Engineering’s SVN to Engineering’s GitLab
Faculty, classes, students, and research groups in engineering.
Requests will receive a response within one business day, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm, excluding University holidays.
Email: engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu
There is no charge for this service.
Users of this service agree to the following:
- GitLab access changes are the responsibility of the project owner
- GitLab is not designed for build artifacts or significantly large files. If your use of the service is impacting the resources or performance available to other users, Engineering IT reserves the right to remove the project or files causing problems.
- SVN project access changes must be applied by Engineering IT staff
- SVN project repositories must be created by Engineering IT
- Engineering IT reserves the right to archive and then delete projects which have not been modified for over a semester or owned by individuals no longer student/staff/faculty. The actual time to archive/delete will depend on the overall resource usage of the service.
New Service Requests
New GitLab Repository Request (self-service):
Subversion Repository Request:
Email Engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu with the following information:
- The desired name for the repository
- The faculty owner of the repository
- NetIDs of on campus colleagues who need access
- Names and email addresses of off-campus colleagues who need access, if any
- OR the name of the course, if this is for a course
General Service Inquiries
jfranzen [at] illinois [dot] edu
Subscribers to this service may be interested in these additional services:
Questions about this topic? Don't see what you're looking for?
Email engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu, call the Help Desk at 217-333-1313, or contact your primary IT support professional.