Engineering IT provides management of printers and consumables in supported Instructional labs across the College. There are two tiers of support, basic and full.
Printers in instructional labs supported by Engineering IT.
For Students: Please see the EWS Printing policy.
- Printers enrolled in full support Instructional Lab Print Service will be maintained by Engineering IT. This includes all toner, paper and maintenance. With this support level, print jobs are billed per-page. Any student, faculty member, or staff person trying to print in the lab will have to purchase pages in order to print. Engineering IT has final say as to what printer models qualify for full support.
- Printers not enrolled in full support get basic support, which provides wall to printer networking, and driver installation on computers in the lab. Departments are responsible for all toner, paper, and maintenance. Engineering IT will not provide any maintenance or troubleshooting for printers with basic support, outside of networking and driver issues. Engineering IT has final say as to what printer models qualify for basic support.
Instructional Computer Labs within the College of Engineering.
Printers in supported labs will be maintained during Engineering IT Help Desk support hours.
Email ews [at] illinois [dot] edu
Visit an Engineering IT Help Desk
Initial Printer Purchase:
In all cases, the cost of the printer itself is incurred by the sponsoring department. The cost of replacement printers when a printer reaches the end of its useful life, as determined by Engineering IT, is also the responsibility of the department.
For departmental lab printers with basic support the department is responsible for all consumable costs as well. (Toner, paper, maintenance kits, repairs).
For departmental lab printers with full support there is no additional cost to the department for consumables (toner, paper, maintenance kits and repairs).
Departments with printers on full support may choose to purchase printing gift credits for students based on major or course enrollment using a CFOPAL to offset the cost of printing.
Users of this service agree to the following:
- Departments must purchase printers approved by Engineering IT. Engineering IT will consult and recommend printer models for specific locations.
- Printer must be located in an instructional lab in the College of Engineering which is supported by Engineering IT
- Existing printers must be approved by Engineering IT before being added to this service
- Engineering IT reserves the right to refuse support for printers which have reached the end of their useful life. The department is responsible for funding a replacement printer.
New Service Requests/General Service Inquiries
Assistant Director for Instructional Services
bmahaffe [at] illinois [dot] edu
Subscribers to this service may also be interested in these additional services:
For a broader view of instructional-related IT support offerings from Engineering IT and on campus, please contact our Instructional Technology Facilitator, Dave Mussulman (mussulma [at] illinois [dot] edu)
Questions about this topic? Don't see what you're looking for?
Email engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu, call the Help Desk at 217-333-1313, or contact your primary IT support professional.