Engineering IT operates on a cost recovery funding model. Units pay for services on behalf of their faculty, students, and staff with the College subsidizing some common and widely used services. Individual faculty and research groups may contract with Engineering IT for services not covered by their home unit.
The funding model is updated each fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) but all billing cycles are on the calendar year. Because the budget is staff-heavy, most service costs can be expected to rise by approximately 2-3% per year in keeping with University compensation changes. Preliminary rates for each upcoming calendar year are announced in September with final rates being determined in December.
Units provide their revised services requests during the Spring. Units receive a preliminary bill in September and one finalized bill each year, in January. These bills are for six months of service at the previous fiscal year rates (July through December) and six months at the current fiscal year rates (January through June). This is done to keep rates in alignment with the billing done for individual contracts.
Individual faculty and research groups who are contracting directly with Engineering IT are billed every three months with bills sent at the end of each billing period. The services being contracted for may be changed at any time with the cost of changes prorated accordingly.
Individual contracts are billed at the most current finalized rates. Because the rate for each fiscal year is not locked in until December, this means that all published rates for individual contracts are also for the calendar year, not the fiscal year.
The four billing periods, with an example rates schedule:
- July 1, 2016 – September 30, 2016: FY16 rates
- October 1, 2016 – December 31, 2016: FY16 rates
- January 1, 2017 – March 31, 2017: FY17 rates
- April 1, 2017 – June 30, 2017: FY17 rates
Hourly support work is normally billed immediately upon completion of the work. Intermediate billings may occur for work that extends longer than three months.
Portal Application Contracts
A separate fee structure for applications, linked to the funding model, is used for non-Engineering units making use of applications in the Engineering Portal. These fees are billed annually with the bills normally being sent in April.
2017 (Final) Annual Rates
NOTE: New rates are typically published at the start of the calendar year.
NOTE: Rates listed below are rounded. Billing statements include exact costs.
- Basic Support: $157 per FTE
- Standard Support: $573 per FTE (uplift cost from Basic Support)
- Research Support: $664 per FTE (uplift from Basic Support)
- Server Management: $602 per server
- Cost Recovery Storage (standard): $61 per TB
- High Performance Computing: $1,381 per cluster + $69 per cluster node
- Contract Website Development: $48 per hour
- Hourly Support: $48 per hour
- Desktop Replacement Program: $225 per enrolled seat
- Department Lab Computers: $219 per workstation
- Lecture Capture: $28 per recorded hour
Email jlmitch1 [at] illinois [dot] edu, call the Engineering IT Business Office at 217-244-0896, or contact your primary IT support professional.
Questions about this topic? Don't see what you're looking for?
Email engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu, call the Help Desk at 217-333-1313, or contact your primary IT support professional.