Individual queue names for using options on the shared departmental printers (such as double-sided ) are no longer supported.
|0210 SC||dcs-printer-210||HP 9040||TA Use||stacker, stapler|
|1226 SC||siebl-1226-printer||Xerox phaser 5550||Academic Office staff|
|2203 SC||siebl-2203-printer||Xerox phaser 5550||General Use||stacker, stapler, hole-punch|
|3203 SC||siebl-3203-printer||Xerox phaser 5550||General Use||stacker, stapler, hole-punch|
|3323 SC||siebl-3323-printer||Xerox phaser 5550||General Use||stacker, stapler, hole-punch|
|4203 SC||siebl-4203-printer||Xerox phaser 5550||General Use||stacker, stapler, hole-punch|
|4301 SC||siebl-4301-printer||Xerox phaser 5550||General Use||stacker, stapler, hole-punch|
|4323 SC||siebl-4323-printer||Xerox phaser 5550||General Use||stacker, stapler, hole-punch|
In order to print, from a personal machine you must be able to make a connection to the print server.
- From off-campus you must connect via the before attempting to connect to the print server.
- From UIUCnet wireless you must connect via the before attempting to connect to the print server. The web based QuickConnect login blocks the necessary ports to print to the print server.
- From IllinoisNet wireless or a wired connection on campus you can talk directly to the print server without needing the VPN client.
When prompted for a username and password, supply your username in the form uofi\NetID and use your Active Directory password.
The steps may vary slightly depending on the version of Windows that is installed.
- Open the Printers or Printers and Faxes folder from the Start Menu
- Click on "Add a Printer" and then click Next
- Choose "A Network printer or printer attached to another computer"
- Choose "Connect to this printer" and in the Name box type \\engr-print-01.engr.illinois.edu\
- A list of the printers available will be displayed. Choose the printer you want.
- Indicate whether you want this to be the default printer on your system and finish the dialogue box.
Use this procedure to add additional print queues.
To configure queues on Window systems not in the Active Directory, see Adding printers on Windows systems without Active Directory.
- Click on Devices and Printer. Select Add a printer.
- When is prompts you What type of printer do you want to install?, Select Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.
- In the Searching for available printers... , select The printer that I want isn't listed.
- In the Find a printer by name or TCP/IP address window, choose Select a shared printer by name. Enter \\engr-print-01.engr.illinois.edu\printerqueuename where printer queue name is one of the CS shared printers. .
- Click Next.
- A pop-up windows may appear asking "Do you trust this printer?". Click on the Install driver.
- After the driver installs, you should get a You've successfully added dcs-plotter on engr-print-01.engr.illinois.edu.
- Click Next.
- If you want to set this printer as your default printer. click the Set as the default printer checkbox. If you want to print a test page, click on the Print a test page button.
- Click Finish and the printer should be ready to use.
- Here is the driver link for the Xerox-phaser-5550.dmg. Download the DMG file and install it on your system. During the install, you will reach a point where the install wants to search for printers. Tell it to continue without selecting a printer. This will install the software you need to select later when adding the printer.
- Open System Preferences
- Open Print & Fax (Alternatively, Printers & Scanners)
- Check that the lock icon in the lower left corner is open. If it is closed, click the lock to open and be prepared to enter your password (if any)
- Click the small plus sign above the lock to add a printer
- Click on IP in the toolbar of the new window that opens
- Make sure the following settings are correct on that window:
- Set the Protocol to: Line Printer Daemon - LPD
- In the Address field enter engr-print-01.engr.illinois.edu
- In the Queue field enter the printer name (e.g. "siebl-2302-printer" to print in room 2302, "siebl-4203-printer" to print in room 4203, etc).
- In the Name field, delete 'engr-print-01.engr.illinois.edu' and instead enter the name of the printer (e.g. siebl-2302-printer)
- In the Location field you may enter the location of the printer (e.g. `2302 Siebel Center`)
- Under Print Using/Use, choose Select a driver to use..., select "Select Printer Software", then on the pop window locate search box and start typing "Xerox phaser" then select the 5550dt driver and click OK.
- Click Add.
- When the "Installable Options" dialog appears, click Continue.
- NOTE: Hole punching functionality is currently known to not be compatible when using Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite and does not work.
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.
- Click the + button to add a printer.
- Press the Control key while clicking the "Default" icon (or any other icon on the toolbar), then choose Customize Toolbar from the contextual menu that appears.
- Drag the Advanced (gear) icon to the toolbar.
- Click Done.
- Click the Advanced icon that was added to the toolbar.
- Choose Windows from the Type pop-up menu.
- In the URL field, type the printer's address: smb://engr-print-01.engr.illinois.edu/print queue name (e.g. siebl-2302-printer)
- In the Name field, type the name you would like to use for this printer in Mac OS X (suggestion: the queue name).
- Under Print Using/Use, choose Select a driver to use..., select "Select Printer Software", then on the pop window locate search box and start typing "Xerox phaser" then locate the 5550dt driver and click OK.
- Click Add.
The printer should now appear under the list of available printers.
You may also set that printer to be your default printer by selecting it from the drop-down menu on the Print & Fax page in System Preferences.
NOTE: The first time you print to a specific printer, the print queue notification will pop up, informing you that the print job status is "On-hold (Authentication Required)". Click on the job, then the "Resume" button, and you will be prompted to enter your AD login and password. Enter that information this way:
And click on "Remember this password in my keychain" to store it for future printing.
Manually adding the print queue for self managed machines
Almost every version of Linux has slightly different GUI capabilities but the following setup should work for most systems that use CUPS printing backend.
- Determine if the desired printer has finishing capabilities (stacker, stapler, punch). If it does download the ppd file marked finisher otherwise download the ppd file marked no finisher. If you use the wrong one, you will not be able to use the stacker, stapler, or punch.
- copy the ppd file to /etc/cups/ppd/<queuename>.ppd (Example: /etc/cups/ppd/siebl-2302-printer.ppd )
- run the commands below (might be in /usr/sbin or /sbin depending on the system, or accept might be called cupsaccept depending on the version of linux)
NOTE You will need to replace <queuename> with the print queue that you are using.
There is a 50 page/minute copier in 2302 Siebel Center and 30 page/minute copiers in 3203 and 3323 Siebel Center. A PIN number is needed to use the copiers. If you have an appointment with the CS department, you will be assigned a PIN number to use with the copiers located in Siebel Center 2302, 3203 and 3323. Instructions are listed on each copier as to how to use your PIN number. This PIN number can be retrieved online at Copier Pin Lookup.
PIN Number Instructions
Enter your PIN number for the "Department ID" There is no "password." Press the green ID button. To end your copy job access, press the green ID button again.
There is a scanner in 2302 Siebel Center available to CS faculty, staff and students.
Questions about this topic? Don't see what you're looking for?
Email engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu, call the Help Desk at 217-333-1313, or contact your primary IT support professional.