Engineering IT supports Echo360 as the lecture capture service for Engineering. There are currently 24 rooms in Engineering equipped with lecture recording appliances, cameras, and microphones for automated recording. A list of those rooms, and information about how to reserve the rooms, can be found here.
Once you have reserved one of these rooms for your course, please email Engineering IT at engrit-help-media [at] illinois [dot] edu to schedule Echo360 recordings of your lectures. When submitting this recording request, please include the following information:
- Course name and number
- Building name and room number
- Days and times when class is scheduled
- Section name(s) as it appears in the course catalog (this is how we manage student access to the recordings now)
If you are teaching a class that is not scheduled in a room equipped for automated Echo360 recording, Engineering IT offers Echo360's PersonalCapture screen recording software for manually recording your lectures with a webcam and microphone using your desktop computer or laptop (Windows and Mac versions available). Please email engrit-help-media [at] illinois [dot] edu for more information.
Echo360 content can be integrated with your course's Compass2g LMS (Learning Management System) space. To request a Compass2g space for your course, please visit compassspacerequest.illinois.edu. Once your course's Compass2g space has been created, please email Engineering IT (engrit-help-media [at] illinois [dot] edu) so we can assist you with integrating your Echo360 recordings into that space.
In addition to Engineering's Echo360 lecture capture service, campus's Technology Services offers Kaltura Mediaspace as an alternative for uploading and publishing existing lecture media recordings. The Mediaspace service also includes CaptureSpace screen recording software for lecture recording. Additional documentation about Mediaspace and the CaptureSpace software can be found here.
For more information about captioning lecture recordings, please visit this page.
Some Helpful Suggestions
- When recording lectures in an Echo360-equipped classroom, it's helpful for the students viewing the recordings if you repeat any questions asked by the in-class students during the lecture.
- Keep your presentation slides concise and uncluttered with minimal text.
- When recording lectures using software (Echo360 PersonalCapture, etc.), better quality microphones will make a noticeable difference in sound quality that your students will appreciate.
If you have any questions about any of these lecture capture-related services, please contact Engineering IT at engrit-help-media [at] illinois [dot] edu.
Questions about this topic? Don't see what you're looking for?
Email engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu, call the Help Desk at 217-333-1313, or contact your primary IT support professional.