NOTE: Some courses disable the Q&A functionality; if you do not see the Questions button within a classroom or Q&A tab described below, check with your instructor to see if this is the case with your course.
If you have a question while viewing a classroom presentation, or want to respond to a question someone else asked about the class, select the Questions icon from the toolbar. This is a toggle button which also closes the Questions panel when not needed.
Any posted question can generate multiple responses, generating discussions about the class material.
For Live streaming classes, the Questions panel appears by default, allowing viewers to chat about the class in real-time.
All posts (and responses) entered through the classroom questions panel also appear in the Q&A tab for the course. If a post references a point in the classroom video or a particular slide, that visual cue also appears with the question in the Q&A tab.
To post a question from the classroom
- In the classroom toolbar, click the New Question icon.
The Discussions panel opens to show a New Question text box, the same as if you had clicked New Question from the Discussions panel.
- Enter text into the New question textbox
- Click the paperclip icon to include an attachment with your question.
- Select whether to Reference class content with the question. This simply means that the classroom presentation will synch to the question when another user selects it.
- Enable the Post anonymously slider to post the question without your name. Instructors can see the authors of all posts; students cannot.
- Click POST QUESTION.
The question can now be viewed and responded to by students or other instructors of the section.
To view classroom questions/discussions
- In the classroom toolbar, click the Discussions icon (shown below) to open the Discussions panel and view student posts and responses, pose questions, and respond to students’ questions.
Bookmarking a question makes it show up in your Study Guide (questions you post are automatically bookmarked). Click the flag below the question to bookmark it (the flag changes from gray to blue).
To respond to a question from the classroom
- In the classroom toolbar, click the Discussions icon (shown below) to open the Discussions panel .
- Click the question/post you want to respond to.
The Questions panel changes to show a button for responding as well as any previously posted responses.
- Click RESPOND TO THIS QUESTION.
The question panel changes to show a response text box.
- Enter your response in the text box.
- Click the paperclip icon to include an attachment with your response (optional).
- Enable the Post anonymously slider to post your response without your name. Instructors can see the authors of all posts; students cannot.
- Click POST.
The Discussion panel changes to show you have responded to the question.
Click the menu arrow (also called a "chevron") located to the right of a question/response to display the Edit and Delete commands. All users can edit their own (and only their own) questions or responses.
To endorse a particular post, click the "thumbs up" icon.
The question appears for all users in the Questions panel for this class and in the Q&A tab for the course. Other class members, including instructors, can respond to or endorse your post.
© 2017 Echo360 | www.echo360.com
Questions about this topic? Don't see what you're looking for?
Email engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu, call the Help Desk at 217-333-1313, or contact your primary IT support professional.