Description from Amazon:
“Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a secure cloud services platform, offering compute power, database storage, content delivery and other functionality.”
It is effectively a datacenter in the cloud. Campus has a contract to allow use of AWS on campus accounts and with a discount.
The provisioning of AWS accounts obtained via the University contract.
The following are the primary features of AWS:
- Resources can be provisioned quickly, and placed in service for days to years.
- Depending on level of services purchased, maintenance of many resources can be handled by Amazon rather than by the clients.
- A pre-discount service cost, accurate to within a half-day’s usage, can be seen from within the account.
Features of the campus contract:
- Use of campus credentials (NetID) to access AWS accounts.
- Use of campus accounts (CFOP) to pay for AWS accounts.
Features Engineering IT adds to the base service:
- Assistance in provisioning and de-provisioning the AWS account.
- Provisioning (and de-provisioning) of AWS access.
- Basic configuration of Account Administrator and Power User access levels.
- Use of groups tool for:
- Management of Active Directory groups that affect AWS permissions and access levels.
- Delegation of Active Directory group management
- Addition of other roles to the management tool as requested.
- Liaison to Technology Services about AWS advanced feature requests.
Staff, faculty, classes, departments and units, research groups, registered student organizations, and students within the College of Engineering.
Requests will receive a response within one business day, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm, excluding University holidays.
Email: engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu
This is a direct pass through cost. There is no overhead added by the university, Technology Services, or Engineering IT at this time.
AWS charges based on usage, and costs will vary depending on the specific services used and the geographic areas chosen.
The university contract provides a discount (minimum 3%) from standard AWS pricing. However, the specific discount depends on the total usage of the entire Internet 2 contract.
In addition, the data egress fee is waived for the majority of accounts at the university. MOOCs, Learning Management Systems (LMSs), University retail stores, and similar do not qualify for the egress waiver, but will qualify for the University service discount.
Users of this service agree to the following:
- It is the responsibility of the user to monitor the monetary spend of the account.
- Billing will run 2-3 months behind usage.
- If the provided funding source is not valid for AWS or does not have sufficient funds, an alternative funding source (such as faculty ICR) will be billed.
- In-depth knowledge of the features and functions of AWS is beyond the scope of the AWS Provisioning Service.
- Any activity beyond basic AWS account and user access provisioning may involve additional fees.
- Engineering IT functions as a liaison to the service provider for AWS. Changes in the contract or by Technology Services in the implementation of the contract take precedence over this SLD.
- Accuracy of access lists is the responsibility of the client.
- Requests for accounts that do not qualify for the data egress waiver (MOOCs, storefronts, LMSs) will take additional time to provision.
- Requests involving AWS includes service providers not affiliated with the College of Engineering, and completion time to fulfill requests can vary accordingly.
New Service Requests
Click "Request an AWS Account" link.
General Service Inquiries
Assistant Director for Research Services
jeguelfi [at] illinois [dot] edu
aws-support [at] illinois [dot] edu
Subscribers to this service may be interested in these additional services:
For a broader view of research-related IT support offerings from Engineering IT and on campus, please contact our Research Technology Facilitator, Mark Hart (mshart [at] illinois [dot] edu)
For a broader view of instructional-related IT support offerings from Engineering IT and on campus, please contact our Instructional Technology Facilitator, Dave Mussulman (mussulma [at] illinois [dot] edu)
Groups Tool used for management of role access
Questions about this topic? Don't see what you're looking for?
Email engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu, call the Help Desk at 217-333-1313, or contact your primary IT support professional.