Faculty and staff receive professional technical support for administrative IT issues and needs they have, including support for their desktops, laptops and mobile computing devices.
All enrolled users receive IT consultation and support for their desktops, laptops and mobile devices. Windows and Mac OS are fully supported for desktops and laptops. Android and iOS mobile devices are supported for connection to campus services. Additional mobile device support is described in the Mobile Device services page. Best effort is provided for all other platforms.
Ordering, Setup, and Maintenance
- Configuration, ordering, and receiving of computer hardware and software.
- Initial setup, including network configuration, UOFI Active Directory, OS security, and application installation and configuration as required/requested.
- Ongoing maintenance, including installing patches and application updates.
- Configuring and monitoring any implemented backup solutions.
- Small home directories, large enough for standard administrative use, are available.
- Group directories for file sharing within offices
- Snapshots of provided home and group directories
- Troubleshooting and resolution of software and hardware issues on supported computers to the best of Engineering IT staff members’ combined abilities. This generally includes getting hardware and applications to run as designed. In-depth knowledge of the features and function of individual applications is outside the scope of this service.
- Coordination with vendors for software license agreements, renewals, and hosting arrangements.
- Initial and ongoing configuration of operating system and applications, as well as monitoring and incident response/resolution.
- Engineering IT will keep abreast of and follow industry best practices for security, State and University policies, and the requirements and recommendations of Technology Services.
In addition to the above features, the following services are included for all users covered by Standard IT Support. Additional support work above and beyond can be obtained through the Hourly Support service.
Departments and units within Engineering at Illinois.
Requests will receive a response within one business day, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm, excluding University holidays.
- Email: engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu
- If time critical:
Current rates for this service can be found on the Service Fees page.
Users of this service agree to the following terms:
- Engineering IT must be consulted on all new purchases or acquisitions of machines or software to be supported.
- Engineering IT must have administrator-level privileges on all supported computers.
- Engineering IT reserves the right to refuse support on hardware or software that is significantly past end-of-life (which is typically 5 years for PCs and past vendor support for software).
- Engineering IT reserves the right to patch supported computers with critical or emergency software updates with minimal notice.
- All subscribers of this service must provide an accurate and up-to-date list of users to be supported.
- The provided home and group directories are not intended for research data. Please see related services for better options for large quantities of data.
New Service Inquiries
User Services Manager
bmahaffe [at] illinois [dot] edu
Research groups may be interested in these additional cost-recovery services:
Last Revised: January 12, 2017
Questions about this topic? Don't see what you're looking for?
Email engrit-help [at] illinois [dot] edu, call the Help Desk at 217-333-1313, or contact your primary IT support professional.